Monday, February 11, 2008

An Open Letter to Rick Morrissey

Dear Rick,

Normally I enjoy reading your columns in the Chicago Tribune. However, every once in a while you decide to write something that is just completely, off the charts ridiculous. That would be the case today in your column entitled:

Illinois fans can consider Bob Knight
Orange you glad that former nemesis Bob Knight might be available to coach in Illini colors? Or is that just a nightmare?


Now I know that at least part of your job is to write things that get people talking in order to sell more newspapers. And I know that I may be helping you out by highlighting this article in Illinitalk and drawing more attention to it.

For that Rick, you are welcome. But come on, are you kidding me? While you seem to realize what you are writing, you end by saying "You'd be silly if you didn't consider it." I take that to mean you are at least partially serious.

I have to tell you, of all the things that crossed my mind when Bob Knight resigned as coach of Texas Tech, consideration of him as a possible coach of the Illini never crossed my mind. It will/would not happen for so many reasons I could not list them all here.

However, please allow me to explain the most important reason why it will not happen. Unlike some Illini fans, I strongly disagree with those who are calling for Bruce Weber's job right now. Like you, I believe he is a kind, decent man and a very good basketball coach. And like others, Illinitalk has been critical of some of his recruiting failures in the past. As we all know this has been a very difficult season for Coach Weber and the Illini.

But for those with a long term view, it appears to me that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Next year, Alex Legion and Jamar Smith will presumably be able to play while promising freshman Demetri McCamey and Mike Tinsdale will have a season under their belts. In 2009, Coach Weber has verbal commitments from four very good to great recruits. In 2010, he already has verbal commitments from two more very good to great recruits.

After the Gordon situtation, Illini fans won't take anything for granted until the commitment letters are signed but the future looks very promising right now for the Illini. Making a coaching change now would jeopardize all of these verbal commitments and potentially put the Illini back to square one. If that coaching change was to Bob Knight, I guarantee that not all of those recruits are coming to Illinois. In addition, Knight is not a long term solution for anyone, including Illinois.

Enough said. Please Rick, no more columns about Bob Knight as a possible coach for the Illini. Thanks for your consideration of this request.

Best regards,

Good Hope Orange

Labels: , , , , ,




<< Home |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?