Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Signing Day Part IV: Selling a Dream

I'm excited about Illini football -- and it's February! Signing Day is usually a small blip on my radar that pops up in the middle of basketball season.

But today, Ron Zook sold me on the idea that Illini football has a football. At the same time, he got significant national attention as a master salesman from the likes of SI and ESPN.

The national take strikes me as a bit harsh -- why would it be hard to convince a bunch of 17-year-olds that Champaign is the place to be, even if they are very talented? (I chose Illinois at 17, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.) I'm confident these young men will feel the same.

Florida is still giddy over the recruits Zook brought in for them, and although I don't expect to compete for a national championship in the next year or two, I do expect to compete in the Big Ten. Definitely a step in the right direction for the football team.

Go Illini!

Labels: ,




<< Home |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?