Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Rick Morrisey does it again

In reading all of the coverage this morning on Jon Scheyer's decision to attend Duke, I found that no article or column tops this gem from Rick Morrissey. Perspective people, perspective. We have said it on this blog before and we will continue to say it. I think Morrissey gets it and so yet another shout out to him.

For those of you who are looking for other coverage on Scheyer's decision you can check out the following:

Tribune coverage

Sun-Times coverage

Rick Telander Column

Daily Herald Coverage

I don't think there is much more I can say that isn't covered in one of the articles or columns above but here are a few closing thoughts. I think the important thing to remember is that this kid has wanted to go to Duke ever since he was a little kid so this was a big mountain to climb from the beginning. Illinois made it very close. It is okay to be disappointed that we lost out on a very good in-state player but there are other good ones out there that Illinois is still recruiting and that could be great for the program.

Keep in mind that Coach Weber has only been at Illinois for two years. Recruiting is all about relationships and those take time to build. If we are having this same discussion two years from now, then maybe there is cause for concern. However, I don't think we will be. We have already landed one top recruit and I truly believe that after the season the Illini had and the style of play Coach teaches, we will land more. I like Coach Weber and I believe he can recruit. Perhaps more importantly, he can develop players and he can coach. Give him some time and I think Illini fans will be well rewarded.

Go Illini!



<< Home |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?